The History of Kilmarnock by Archibald M'Kay 0000-00-00 00:00:00

Find Deals & eBook Download The History of Kilmarnock

by Archibald M'Kay
Book Views: 67
The History of Kilmarnock by Archibald M'Kay
Author
Archibald M'Kay
Publisher
Theclassics.Us
Date of release
Pages
132
ISBN
9781230211671
Binding
Paperback
Illustrations
Format
PDF, EPUB, MOBI, TXT, DOC
Rating
5
53
Verified safe to download
See available formats

Book review

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1880 edition. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER X. Tak' grey hairs and wrinkles, and hirple wi' me, And think on the seventeen hundred and fifty. Sir Alexander Boswell. The Cross of Kilmarnock was, in early times, the site of a corn-mill, which was driven by a lade or stream that flowed through the same spot. Shilling-hill, or Sheelin-hill, near the Railway Station, was, as the name implies, the eminence on which "the kernels of the grain," to use the words of Dr. Jamieson, "were separated by the wind from the husks." Regarding the exact time of the erection of the mill we have no information. It appears, however, by the following extract from the Town Treasurer's Book, to have been removed about the beginning of the eighteenth century: "1703--June 26--Paid to Ballyie Hunter for the street wher the miln stood--£21 9s. id. Scots." We may likewise state, that the name of the last occupant of the mill was Rankin, from whom are descended the Rankins of Wardneuk, in this parish, and also the late David Rankin, Esq., postmaster of Kilmarnock. The Newmill, at a short distance from the town, on the banks of the Irvine, was also occupied at one time by the same Rankins, and was built, we believe, "By every corn-mill a knoll-top, on which the kernels were winnowed from the husks, was designed the Sheeling-hill.--Agr. Surv. Peeb. in 1703,t as a substitute for the one at the Cross; hence it obtained the name of the New Mill. At the time when the noble family of the Boyds ceased to have connection with Kilmarnock, namely, about the middle of the eighteenth century, the town presented a mean and inelegant appearance. The streets were crooked and narrow; the houses were low and poorly lighted; and to many of them that were two storeys high were attached outside stairs, that not only...

Find and Download Book — The History of Kilmarnock

Click one of share button to proceed download:
Choose server for download:
Download
Get It!
File size:4 mb
Estimated time:1 min
If not downloading or you getting an error:
  • Try another server.
  • Try to reload page — press F5 on keyboard.
  • Clear browser cache.
  • Clear browser cookies.
  • Try other browser.
  • If you still getting an error — please contact us and we will fix this error ASAP.
Sorry for inconvenience!
For authors or copyright holders
Amazon Affiliate

Go to Removal form

Leave a comment

Readers reviews